LAC Category 1A Goals and Outcomes
Goal 1: Students will display the ability to produce written texts that are focused, clear, complete, and effective.
- Outcome 1: Ideas expressed and explained in written texts are organized and communicated clearly, with detailed explanation and support for points made.
- Outcome 2: Research and source materials are used critically and with understanding of their content and context.
- Outcome 3: Ability to use professional documentation style correctly and consistently.
- Outcome 4: Written texts demonstrate understanding of audience needs, critical context, and writing purpose.
Goal 2: Students will display the knowledge of and ability to practice the processes of effective writing.
- Outcome 1:Awareness and skillful use of writing processes, including invention, drafting, revising, and editing.
LAC Category 1B Goals and Outcomes
Goal 1: Presentational/Speaking Skills: Students will display competence in creating and presenting oral messages in a variety of contexts.
- Outcome 1: Create and present well-organized, well-delivered speeches.
- Outcome 2: Use effective audience analysis to communicate in interpersonal, group, and public situations.
- Outcome 3: Use research support to make a persuasive argument.
- Outcome 4: Use appropriate visual aids and/or technology to enhance communication.
- Outcome 5: Demonstrate an awareness of the ethical responsibilities of communicators in public, interpersonal, and group situations.
- Outcome 6: Work constructively in groups to solve problems and accomplish tasks by applying specific group communication concepts and processes.
Goal 2: Thinking/Listening Skills: Students will develop thinking and listening skills necessary for effective communication in a variety of relational contexts.
- Outcome 1: Identify how the process of perception works in everyday life.
- Outcome 2: Critically analyze and interpret verbal and nonverbal messages.
- Outcome 3: Identify specific strategies for how interpersonal relationships begin, are maintained and end.
- Outcome 4: Apply interpersonal conflict concepts to personal interactions.
- Outcome 5: Demonstrate an understanding of language bias/prejudice and its impact on the communication process.
- Outcome 6: Demonstrate an understanding of culture and its impact on the communication process.
- Outcome 7: Demonstrate effective listening in a variety of contexts.